Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Power of Writing

I have spent this morning re-reading many of the papers I've written over the past 5 semesters of college. It is revealing to see how I've grown and changed throughout this process and, I have to say, I'm impressed with some of what I've written. In fact, I think I will compile all of the essays into a book of sorts to keep once I'm done with college. I see the value in the writing, however, and ponder the loss of that when I'm no longer formally required to do so. Although I have a journal, it tends to be about the daily life, not so much about my reading, synthesizing, and reflecting. It is clearly a valuable process.

I am interested to see how this will all come together into a degree project for the culmination of my Burlington College experience. Although I already have a plan for the scope of the project, by creating a Mentoring Manual, it is clear to me that contextualizing the depth of concepts and insights will be both interesting and daunting. It is also exciting to realize that I will, in effect, be writing a book - the book I've wanted to write for some time.

Luke recently wrote in his blog an encouragement to people to write - I couldn't agree more!! I want to continue this throughout my life, and this blog is a helpful forum for doing exactly that.

No comments: