Tuesday, February 10, 2009

More about perception/awareness

I have a cold. A fact - a simple fact. I have a cold. I have chosen not to attach misery to that fact, and have, thus, been quite at peace with it. I am aware of congestion, sore throat, upper respiratory distress. But, those things are... well, just things. They don't make my day, my life, or my being good or bad. I have, in fact, stayed home from work and experienced a great sense of peace in doing so. I have observed my body, aware of the battle between my immune system and the virus. I have practiced yoga, surrendering to the release - body, mind, spirit.

There is one thing I wonder about, though. If I don't attach misery to a cold, does that mean also that I shouldn't attach happiness to hiking on a beautiful day? That seems sort of sad - it would mean living on a stable plane, but one that is rather boring. Perhaps, I can choose when to attach my perspective, then by virtue of that perspective, my feelings. I can choose - isn't that the most powerful thing? Choice?

2 comments:

hello, it's katie! said...

attaching happiness to an event is much better and different that attaching complaints and negative energy to something that is already draining to your body.

Lee said...

Hi Katie,
You are right, though I generally have this philosophy that happiness is related to happenings, but joy is something you can carry inside no matter what's going on around you. For me, it's a subtle but important shift...